By Robin Larkin
Studies have shown that adding laughter to your day decreases your risk of getting sick by helping the immune system function better. Laughing more will also decrease your stress levels. Adding laughter to your day can be as easy as watching a funny show or movie. Even 30 minutes of watching a funny show showed health improvements.
If you want to increase the amount of laughter in your life try this laughter meditation. Do it alone or with a friend but give it a try. It is best to do this mediation before eating.
- Start with 1-2 minutes of stretching
- Stand and stretch your whole body. Arms up, fingers of both hands laced and go up on your toes.
- Don’t forget to stretch the muscles of your jaws and face – a yawn or two will do it.
- Now Laugh for 5 minutes!
- Begin by turning up the corners of your mouth and smiling softly
- Now make that smile bigger and start laughing
- Make the laughter bigger so you feel it from your belly
- Try and laugh ‘with’ yourself or a partner, but not ‘at’ or ‘about’ someone or something
- Bring mindful awareness to your laughter – whatever makes you laugh – go with it.
- Now be Still for 5 minutes
- Stop laughing and close your eyes
- Find a place to sit, if you were standing while laughing
- Become aware of the silence
- Ignore any thoughts that may arise and instead shift focus to any feelings or sensations in your body.
Try this meditation once a day for a month and see if you can see any positive changes.
Altman, D. (2012). The Top One-Minute Mindfulness Strategies to Use in Your Practice. CMI Education Institute.
Kushan, K.S. (n.d.). Laughter Meditation. Do-Meditation.com. http://www.do-meditation.com/laughter-meditation.html